UK Power Networks is a Distribution Network Operator rated in the Sunday Times as one of the Top 25 companies to work for. It has been awarded a Gold Standard in Investors In People and has excellent benefits and a great pension scheme.
We are currently looking for a Civil Engineer to be based out of our London West Ham office. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing civil designs on regulated from a scope provided by Project Managers, Customers or the Civil Design manager and will include project costings to customer requirements for time, quality and budget. The designer will liaise with the Project Manager, Design lead, electrical designer ensuring compliance to design, CDM and relevant standards for both the regulated network solutions for all customers. The post holder is required to undertake site visits as part of this role and this will include entry to operational substations where compliance with safety rules and procedures is mandatory.
- Production of Civil and Structural Designs, that can be constructed in compliance with standards and CDM requirements
- Produce effective designs, which conform to all relevant Codes of Practice and company and industry standards in conjunction with Electrical engineering works
- Oversee and contribute to the production of technical, commercial and contractual documents for procurement of engineering products
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations and company procedures.
- Compliance with design assurance and audit processes
- Supporting and mentoring other members of the team to enhance their technical knowledge and experience.
- Provide an excellent service to the customer.
- Work as a Team Player in a dedicated team of Designers and Estimators
- Liaise with the operational teams to ensure a smooth process from initial enquiry through to final connection and business closure.
- Comply with the requirements of the designer as determined by the CDM Regulations
- Ensure design eliminates/reduces any hazards which may give rise to risks; and reduce risks from any remaining hazards (in conjunction with CDM)
- Ensure designs provide sufficient information about aspects of the design of the structure or its construction or maintenance as will adequately assist clients, the CDM team, other designers and contractors
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to degree (BSc in Civil Engineering) level or equivalent
- Qualified to Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer Status with proven relevant experience would be beneficial.
- A strong civil / structural engineering background and extensive experience in civil engineering and building works ideally within Utility sector.
- Competence in resolving a significant range of technical civil engineering issues and in providing technical advice; a sound understanding of company standards and policies and their application to this role. Awareness of current and technological developments in civil / structural engineering.
- Ability to work with external engineering organisations and customers/stakeholders representing UKPN to best effect.
- A good safety culture and sound understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations and their application in this role.
- Ability to work unsupervised, set and comply with own targets, and identify and implement innovative cost saving solutions.
- Good team working skills
- A good level of business, environmental, safety, financial, and regulatory awareness;
- A general appreciation of financial reporting systems;
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 procedures relevant to the team's activities;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft desktop applications, in particular: Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and be competent in written and oral communications.
- Manage (not line manage) and communicate with the CAD team in order to produce design drawings suitable for construction.
- Experience of planning permissions
- Experience of site surveying and setting out
- Experience of AutoCAD software would be beneficial
- Experience of building services
- Excellent communication skills required
- Good organizational skills required
- Broad knowledge of power engineering plant and equipment i.e. Transformers, Switchgear, cables, protection schemes
- Experience of: Roadworks, external works including drainage, building reinforced concrete foundations, superstructure including structural steel works, brick block cavity walls, different types of roofing, reinforced concrete structures.
There is no need to provide bank account details or payment to any person or organisation when applying for a job.
If you have any concerns about this job then please report it to our Customer Service team.