Senior BI System Manager
The starting salary for this post is £35,540 per annum (with Inner London weighting, or £33,627 Outer London or £29,930 national).
HMCTS is embarking on a period of significant change which will see the organisation transform over the next 5 years. Strong leadership is a critical element in this being successful. As a senior manager within HMCTS the jobholder must provide clear direction and focus, visibly championing the changes which deliver greater efficiencies. The HMCTS Executive Team expects senior managers in the organisation to operate in a culture of openness and honesty, demonstrating a commitment to change through involvement and empowerment, and by delivering results.
The HMCTS Finance, Governance and Performance function will have a pivotal role in supporting senior stakeholders and their teams through the change, with the right strategy to build the necessary organisational capability and to realise the benefits needed.
The Key Purpose of the role
As a member of Analysis and Performance you will play a key role in making HMCTS a data driven organisation by providing HMCTS and the Judiciary with timely, accurate and accessible operational Management Information (MI) and analysis to underpin operational decisions and Reform activities.
You will assume responsibility for maintaining and developing our existing Business Intelligence tool (OPT) and future Business Intelligence tools which may be developed in different software packages. You will liaise with customers to ensure that their needs are met, the system is simple and intuitive to use, that results are clear and utilize different data visualization techniques to make data accessible and maximize its impact.
The role is predominantly a technical role but also requires you to provide leadership to members of the wider team and also users of our system ensuring that there is an excellent service provided to the users of our services and systems.
- As a member of the Business Intelligence (BI) systems maintenance and development team, your role will be to analyse and resolve the more complex and technical issues identified in existing systems, to translate business requirements into effective technical designs and data models
- You will take the lead on particular aspects of maintenance/development of OPT, including the re-platforming of Tribunals data sets to OPT.
- You will contribute to overall release scheduling, being clear about (and meeting) the release schedules for your particular developments and ensuring effective version control.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the database is secure and that users have appropriate access.
- You will identify and develop a validation process to ensure data quality is maintained in our BI tools.
- You will be responsible for carrying out testing on the database and other applications ensuring that any changes that are implemented are validated and provide accurate reports.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that system developments are subject to appropriate software quality assurance and have effective test strategies and plans.
- You will use your specialist knowledge to develop reports for colleagues in courts and tribunals (including the judiciary) and other agencies as well as statutory returns.
- Liaising with business representatives and others to formulate and develop requirements, assess training needs etc for the particular developments under construction.
- As a member of the BI development team, you will be responsible for developing a suite of new Business Intelligence (BI) tools, leading your team to respond to the different and changing needs of our customers by translating business requirements into effective technical designs and data models with a focus on ease of access and increased data visualisation, whilst referring more complex and difficult issues upwards to the Head of BI Systems for resolution. To carry out testing on the new BI tools developed, ensuring that they are validated and provide accurate reports.
- Maintaining a user-focused design approach that drives improvements in efficiency and minimises training needs of our customers whilst applying LEAN principles, tools and techniques to working practices to improve efficiency of operations.
- You will actively seek best practice in analysis and performance reporting, develop new products to meet the needs of the changing business and to assist the business deliver solutions that represent good value for money.
- You will coach, inspire, motivate and seek development opportunities for staff.
- You will build and develop new teams to work together and continually look to improve performance.
- You will represent Analysis and Performance in the wider business in a professional manner which builds cross functional relationships and strengthens the perception of Analysis and Performance as a fair, impartial and business focused /critical partner.
- You will manage attendance and actively tackle poor performance.
- You will work in a flexible way and undertake any other duties reasonably requested by line management which are commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility of this post.