Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is a leading manufacturer in total railway solutions, covering rolling stock, signalling, service delivery and traffic management. Our Global Head Office is located in Central London and we currently operate from project offices across the UK, several depot locations and our new state-of-the-art rail vehicle manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe.
Our Class 395 Javelin trains currently in operation on the HS1 route have proven our capability in the UK, based on a blend of British and Japanese technical expertise. The Intercity Express Programme and Abellio ScotRail franchise award will see our teams deliver over 200 new trains over the next two years. We are now looking to expand our operations further to build upon our global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership.
Hitachi Rail Europe is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications, we are also a member of the WISE campaign which inspires girls and women to study and build careers using science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
Wheel Lathe operative
- Wheel lathe technician
- To service, fault find and repair Hitachi rolling stock assets.
Under the direction and supervision of lathe Technician
- Maintain the condition of the work site, materials and equipment
- Support health and safety practices in the workplace
- Prepare for and undertake planned maintenance on the wheel lathe & ancillary equipment
- Carryout wheel turning for Hitachi and third party rolling stock.
- Perform necessary height adjustment and testing work after turning.
- Confirm that traction and rolling stock assets comply with operational specifications
- Provide operational support to fleet staff if lathe duties permit
- Develop professionally and support good working relationships
- Learn new skills in accordance with Hitachi's new business demands as required
- Liaison with Hitachi and external personnel as required to complete the duties of the post
- Assist as required.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Licences / Competences
- Network Rail Sentinel PTS
- Wheel lathe operations & Maintenance
- Post operation checks and adjustments
- Stock-Specific Training relevant to technical and operational considerations
- First Aid At Work
- Fork Lift
- Over Head Gantry Crane
- Lathe Manufactures Training & Certification , prior to commencing work on the wheel lathe
- Sound knowledge of, and compliance to, rules and regulations
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to represent Hitachi in a professional manner at all times
- Good team worker
Licences / Competences
- Intermediate IT skills - typically Word, Excel
- Depot driving and shunting
- Remote controlled locomotive (electric shunter)
- C&G Craft Apprenticeship
There is no need to provide bank account details or payment to any person or organisation when applying for a job.
If you have any concerns about this job then please report it to our Customer Service team.